Watch how to make it here
Ever had an ube croissant? Here’s an easy baking recipe that anyone can make.
A few notes:
- Store any leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To re-heat, toast in the oven for 5 minutes at 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- The almonds can be replaced with other nuts such as walnuts or pistachios.
- Be gentle when mixing as the ube flavor extract is prone to staining clothes and fingers.
- 1 Package vegan Puff Pastry Sheets, comes with 2 sheets (if frozen, thaw at room temperature for 1 hr)
- 1 tbsp ube flavor extract
- ½ cup almond meal (½ cup raw almonds blended)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp flax seed + 3 tbsp water (mix together and leave aside for 5 minutes)
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- ¼ cup plant-based milk
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- Step 1 In a medium-sized bowl, add the butter and sugar and mix until well combined. Add the almonds, vanilla extract, flax egg, and ube flavor extract.
- Step 2 Pre-heat oven to 430 degrees Fahrenheit. On a clean, flat surface, unroll the room temperature puff pastry sheet. The goal is to cut the sheet into triangles. If the puff pastry sheet is circular, begin by slicing it in half horizontally and then vertically. Once we have 4 equal parts, we will slice it at the 45-degree angle until we get 8 triangles (refer to video for cutting method). Repeat this with the other puff pastry sheet.
- Step 3 Make a 1/2 inch slit in the center of the base of each triangle. Spread about ½ -1 tbsp of the ube mixture on the surface of each triangle in a thin layer. Once all 8 triangles have been covered with a thin layer of the ube filling, start rolling at the base of the triangle loosely forward until you reach the tip of the triangle. Lay the croissant on parchment paper on a baking sheet with the tip tucked underneath. Repeat this until you use up all the ube filling.
- Step 4 Arrange the croissants on the baking sheet, spacing them about 1 inch apart. In a small bowl, mix the agave nectar and plant-based milk well. Dip a basting brush in the vegan egg wash and lightly coat the surface of each croissant. This will give the croissant the golden shine we are looking to achieve. Once completed, add the croissants to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Step 5 After it’s done baking, sprinkle the coconut flakes and powdered sugar to your liking. Let it cool before eating. Enjoy! 🙂