Watch how to make it here
Bánh xèo is one of the most delicious Vietnamese street foods out there. It is a great example of the taste and textures commonly found in Vietnamese food: savory and sweet, soft and crunchy, and fresh and fried. It is also known for the sizzling sound it makes when it hits the pan. If you’re looking to try something new, this recipe is for you!
A few notes:
- If using a 10-inch nonstick pan, the recipe below makes about 4-5 large crepes.
- It is important to use a nonstick pan for this recipe.
- At the beginning of making each crepe, add a little bit of oil (about 1/2 teaspoon), otherwise, it won’t crispen up and will become soggy. You will get a chance to add more oil towards the end of cooking.
- If you do not have access to rice flour, you can blend regular white rice until it turns into a powder form.
- Feel free to use any mushrooms or protein such as tofu of your choice.
- Adding sparkling water to the batter is supposed to help the crepes become crispy. Beer is also commonly used instead. As long as there is some sort of carbonated beverage, it will help with the crispiness.
- Vegan fish sauce is the best sauce to serve with these crepes.
- Best enjoyed immediately. If there are leftovers, store the batter and the fresh vegetables separately in an airtight container for up to 2 days. When ready to eat, fry the crepes according to the instructions listed below.
Final note: It takes a few tries to get used to the cooking technique of swirling the batter in the pan but once you get the hang of it, it will be easy. You got this!
Bánh Xèo (Vietnamese Sizzling Crepes)
- 1 cup rice flour (should be regular white rice flour, not glutinous or sweet rice flour)
- 1.5 tbsp tapioca starch
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 125 ml coconut milk
- 100 ml sparkling water
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 scallions, green parts roughly chopped (save white parts for filling)
- 3oz king oyster mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 packet seafood or shiitake mushrooms, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 zucchini, thinly sliced and julienned
- 1/4 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Romaine lettuce (as much you'd like)
- Mint (2-3 sprigs)
- 1-2 red bird eye chilli pepper
- 1 lime (cut into wedges)
- Vegan Fish Sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- 4 Bird eye chili pepper, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Step 1 In a large bowl, combine the rice flour, tapioca starch, tumeric powder, sea salt, coconut milk, sparkling water, warm water, green parts of the scallion and mix everything well. Cover and allow it to sit for 45 minutes – 1 hour at room temperature.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, prep the king oyster mushrooms, seafood mushrooms, zucchini, and yellow onion. Wash the beansprouts, romaine lettuce, mint, and dry well.
- Step 3 In a nonstick pan, on medium heat, heat up 1/2 tsp of vegetable oil for a few minutes. This should be plenty as we will add more oil later. Add 2-3 king oyster mushroom slices, 2 tbsp of seafood mushroom pieces, 1 tbsp of zucchini, 3-4 onion slices, and white part of green onion. After 1-2 minutes, season with a pinch of salt, black pepper, and 1/2 tsp of mushroom seasoning. Push the vegetables to half the side of the pan. Pour 1/2 cup of batter into the pan and quickly swirl in a circular motion until it evenly coats the pan. There should not be any gaps. If there is, add a little bit of batter to close the gap. On medium heat, allow it to cook for 1 minute uncovered. Then, add 1/2 cup of beansprouts on top of the side with the vegetables and cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2 minutes. Lift the lid and dip a basting brush in 1 tsp of oil and brush the top of the edges of the crepe all around. This is to ensure the crepe becomes crispy. Turn on high heat and cook for 2 more minutes. You will know the crepe is ready when the edges are easy and smooth to lift without ripping. Lift the edge of the crepe and cover the side with the vegetables.
- Step 4 Serve the crepe wrapped in romaine lettuce and mint along with juice of a lime, red chili pepper, and dip in vegan fish sauce. Best enjoyed immediately.