Watch how to make it here
Recipe begins at 2:34
The immensely popular Chinese-Korean inspired black bean noodle dish is now veganized! Sweet, savory, and chewy, this dish is satisfying and will make you hungry for seconds.
A few notes
- For any leftovers, store in the black bean vegetables sauce separate from the noodles in an airtight container for up to 3 days. It is best to make the noodles fresh when you’re ready to eat.
- Black bean paste is made from soybeans, fermented wheat flour, and caramel sauce. There is a Chinese and Korean version. I find that they both taste great but the Korean version would work best particularly for this dish.
- The black bean paste is slightly bitter on its own. In order to remove the bitterness, it is important to fry it in oil for 30 seconds first before adding it to the vegetables.
- We used dry Chinese wheat noodles for this dish which might be more easily accessible than the fresh noodles. However, if your local Asian supermarket offer the fresh Jajangmyeon noodles then go for it!
- This recipe calls for a laundry list of vegetables which are optional but highly recommended. The most important vegetables to include are the potatoes and zucchini and top it off with cucumbers. Feel free to play around with the vegetables that work best for you.
This black bean vegetable noodle dish is:
Rich in flavor
& SO Dreamy!
Please let me know if you gave this recipe a try. Leave a comment below or tag a photo on Instagram @tifflovestofu. I’d love to see or hear how it turned out for you.
Black Bean Vegetable Noodle
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 brown mushrooms, sliced
- Handful asparagus, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tomato, cubed
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- ¼ purple cabbage (or green cabbage), chopped
- 4 tbsp roasted black bean paste
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 4 tbsp cornstarch (mix with 2 tbsp water to create slurry)
- 2 persian cucumbers, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Chinese wheat noodles (without egg)
- Step 1 Begin with preparing the red onion, brown mushrooms, asparagus, zucchini, tomato, potatoes, and cabbage.
- Step 2 In a non-stick pan/wok on medium heat, add the oil and the roasted black bean paste allowing it to fry for about 30 seconds. After, set the black bean paste to the side.
- Step 3 In the same pan, add the red onions and mushrooms. After a couple minutes, add the rest of the vegetables, sugar, and salt. Top it off with enough water to cover the top of the vegetables (about 3-4 cups). Add the cornstarch slurry once the sauce begins to become bubbly.
- Step 4 Meanwhile the vegetables are cooking, boil the Chinese wheat noodles according to the package. It usually take about 5 minutes.
- Step 5 While the noodles are boiling, prep the cucumbers and green onions.
- Step 6 When the noodles are finished cooking, drain and rinse with cold water. Add to a bowl and top it off with the vegetable sauce, cucumbers, green onions, and enjoy!