Watch how to make it here
Simple recipe but full of flavor. Baby bok choy, shiitake mushrooms, and bean thread noodles are combined to create this satisfying dish.
A few notes:
- Baby bok choy can be found at most Asian grocery stores. If not available, mature bok choy can be used.
- Fresh shiitake mushrooms can be found at most Asian grocery stores or at a farmer’s market. If not available, dried shiitake mushrooms can be substituted. Allow extra time to rehydrate dried shiitake mushrooms.
- Sweet soy sauce can be substituted with dark soy sauce.
- Vegan oyster sauce can be found at most Asian grocery stores. The brand I used was from Kikkoman but Lee Kum Kee or Wan Ja Shan are great alternatives.
Bok Choy & Shiitake Mushroom Glass Noodles
- 10 baby bok choy
- 10-12 fresh shiitake mushroom
- 5oz dried bean thread noodles, rehydrated
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 5-6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 star anise
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp vegan oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce (sub dark soy sauce)
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Black Pepper
- Step 1 Prep the ginger, garlic, and scallions. Discard the shiitake mushroom stems and wipe off any dirt with a damp paper towel. Rinse the baby bok choy with water.
- Step 2 Heat up 6 cups of water in a large pot. Once boiling, add the bok choy and cook for 1 minute. Immediately transfer to a large bowl of ice water to stop cooking.
- Step 3 Heat up 1 tbsp of vegetable oil in a nonstick pan on medium heat. Add 1 tsp of minced garlic (saving the rest for the mushrooms and noodles). Toss in the bok choy, and season with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Saute for 2-3 minutes or longer if you prefer it to be on the softer side. Set aside.
- Step 4 In the same pan, heat up 1 tbsp of oil, 1 tsp of minced garlic, grated ginger, and star anise. Saute for 1-2 minutes before tossing in the shiitake mushrooms and scallion. Add 1 tbsp vegan oyster sauce, 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce, and saute for 5-7 minutes until the mushrooms have shrunk to half their size. If it becomes too sticky, add 1-2 tbsp of hot water at a time. Set aside.
- Step 5 In a heat-proof bowl, add the dry bean thread noodles and cover with boiling hot water. Soak for 5 minutes. Drain the water and set it aside.
- Step 6 In the same pan, heat up the remaining oil and minced garlic for a minute. Add the rehydrated noodles, light soy sauce, black pepper, and vegan oyster sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes until heated throughout.
- Step 7 Plate the bok choy, noodles, and mushrooms on a plate and enjoy immediately!