Watch how to make it here
Try this Chinese eggplant and broccoli with vegan ground sausage in a delicious soy chili garlic sauce.
A few notes:
- The vegan ground sausage used in this recipe was from Impossible Foods but any non-flavored vegan ground sausage will work.
- The chili garlic sauce used in this recipe was from Huy Fong Foods. I highly recommend this sauce. It can be found at any Asian grocery store or can be purchased online.
- Chinese eggplant is typically found at most Asian grocery stores. If it is not available at your nearest grocery store, Japanese eggplant can be used as a substitute.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Chinese Eggplant and Broccoli with Soy Chili Garlic Sauce
- 1 Chinese eggplant, diagonal 2-inch cuts
- 7 oz vegan ground sausage
- 1 small broccoli crown, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp chili garlic sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup vegan chicken broth
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Step 1 Prep the eggplant. Soak the eggplant in a medium-sized bowl filled with filtered water and add 1 tsp of salt. Set aside.
- Step 2 Heat up water for broccoli in a small pot. Cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Prep the scallion, garlic, ginger. Combine the ingredients for the sauce: soy sauce, dark soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sugar, and broth. Set aside.
- Step 3 Add the broccoli to the boiling pot of water and cook for 2-3 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Step 4 Pat the eggplant dry with a paper towel. Coat the eggplant with cornstarch. Heat up a nonstick pan with 1 tbsp of oil. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly golden. set aside.
- Step 5 In the same pan, add the white ends of the scallion, garlic, and ginger. After a few minutes, add the vegan ground sausage. Cook for a few minutes before adding the eggplant, broccoli, and sauce. Cover with a lid and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Step 6 Garnish with the green ends of the scallion and serve immediately with a bowl of white rice. Enjoy!