Watch how to make it here
This recipe is one of the best ways to enjoy tofu! This tofu is deep-fried until crispy and meaty and served with a savory soy scallion sauce. Simple, yet full of flavor. Try it today!
A few notes:
- Firm or extra firm tofu is used in this recipe. This will result in a chewier, meaty-like center. Alternatively, soft tofu can be used for a softer center.
- This recipe requires a large amount of vegetable oil. To avoid using large amounts of oil, the tofu can be baked but the texture will not be the same as fried. To bake the tofu, press the tofu as instructed until dry and cut into small pieces. Coat in 1-2 tbsp of vegetable oil and bake for 40-45 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The soy scallion sauce is best served when it is hot. If preferred, more than 2 scallions can be used for a tastier sauce.
- Store the tofu and soy scallion sauce separately in an airtight container for up to 3 days
Fried Tofu with Soy Scallion Sauce
- Fried Tofu
- 1 firm or extra firm tofu
- 2 cups vegetable oil in small pot (4 cups vegetable oil in large pot)
- Soy Scallion Sauce
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mushroom seasoning
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil (from frying the tofu)
- 5 tbsp hot water
- Step 1 Open the box of tofu and drain the liquid. Press the tofu with a heavy object for at least 30 minutes. Layer a paper towel or lint-free towel between the tofu and the board to absorb the liquid. To save time, you can begin this process a couple hours in advance. Once the tofu is dry, cut into 1 inch cubes ~ about 20 small pieces in total (refer to video for instructions). The smaller the pieces, the quicker it will fry.
- Step 2 Heat up vegetable oil in a pot for about 5 minutes. You can tell if its heated throughout by dropping a tiny piece of tofu in the pot. If it starts to form bubbles rapidly, it is ready. Add less than half the tofu (about 7-9 pieces) to the pot to avoid overcrowding. The tofu will stick to each other if there isn’t enough space for it to move around. It will take between 9-12 minutes to fry until golden. Once it is golden, add the tofu to a paper towel lined tray to abosrb the excess oil. Fry the remaining tofu pieces.
- Step 3 Meanwhile, combine the scallions, soy sauce, mushroom seasoning, black pepper, sugar, vegetable oil, and hot water. To ensure the scallions are cooked, you can also microwave the sauce for 30 seconds.
- Step 4 Garnish with the remaining fresh scallions. Serve the fried tofu with the soy scallion sauce and white rice.