Watch how to make it here
This creamy, Vietnamese-inspired, lemongrass tofu curry is a hug in a bowl and perfect for cold days. Serve with a baguette or rice for a complete meal.
A few notes:
- Russet potatoes or any other potatoes of your choice can be substituted for the Japanese purple sweet potatoes. However, keep in mind that the Japanese purple sweet potatoes provide a subtle hint of sweetness.
- Shitake or king oyster mushrooms can be substituted for oyster mushrooms.
- Pre-fried tofu puffs can be found at most Asian grocery stores.
- Refer to my Lemongrass tofu video on how to peel and cut lemongrass. Alternatively, you can purchase pre-minced lemongrass from the freezer section at most Asian grocery stores.
- Vegan chicken bouillon base can be substituted for vegetable bouillon cubes.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Lemongrass Tofu Curry
- 2 Japanese purple sweet potatoes, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 1 yellow onion, cut into quarters
- 6 oz oyster mushrooms, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup fried tofu puffs
- 2 tbsp lemongrass, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp vegan chicken bouillon base
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Cooked white rice
- French baguette
- Fresh cilantro as garnish
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Step 1 Prep the potatoes, carrots, onion, mushrooms, lemongrass, and shallots.
- Step 2 In a large pot on medium heat, add the vegetable oil and saute the lemongrass and shallots for about 2 minutes, or until the shallots have softened. Add the onions and carrots for another 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and mushrooms, and stir and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Step 3 Season with curry powder, soy sauce, and vegan chicken bouillon base. Stir well before adding the water. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, cook the rice or toast the baguette if preferred. Roughly chop the cilantro and slice the lime in quarters for garnish.
- Step 5 Add the vegan chicken, tofu and coconut milk. Cover and simmer until heated throughout, about 5 minutes.
- Step 6 Serve with rice, baguette, and top with cilantro and juice of 1/2 a lime. Enjoy!