Watch how to make it here
This mushroom pepper rice recipe is a vegan interpretation of the famous Japanese beef pepper rice. Crispy, hearty, sizzling hot, and full of memorable flavors, this is can be put together in under 30 minutes.
A few notes:
- The kimchi used in this recipe was adapted from Maangchi’s vegan kimchi recipe but you can find vegan kimchi at most Asian grocery stores.
- Fried garlic is optional but highly recommended. It enhances the flavor of this dish. See below for instructions on how to make it.
- The soy garlic sauce is enough to use for 3-4 pepper rice dishes. It can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Oyster or shimeji mushrooms can be used as a substitute for portobello or shiitake mushrooms. Alternatively, you can also use tofu.
- If there are any leftovers, store the mushroom pepper rice in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- Using a cast-iron will help make the rice crispy and keep the rice warm as you eat it. Otherwise, a nonstick pan is fine and should do the trick.