Watch how to make it here
Enjoy this vegan take on the classic Chinese dish, sweet and sour pork! This healthy alternative is baked instead of fried and is jam-packed with flavor. Crispy on the outside, yet tender on the inside, it will leave you wanting more!
A few notes:
- To save time, buy pre-cut cauliflower florets.
- While all-purpose flour works best, almond flour would work as well.
- The panko bread crumbs are a must-have in this recipe. It makes the cauliflower extra crispy.
- This is perfect as a lunch meal prep. Store the cauliflower with rice and your choice of vegetables in an airtight container. See the video above for reference.
Sweet and Sour CauliflowerMarch 6, 2021: 20 min: 25 min: Easy
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup potato or corn starch (save 1 tbsp to use for the sauce)
- 2 tbsp water (add 1 tsp at a time until reaching loose consistency)
- 2-3 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp potato or cornstarch + 1 tsp water (to create slurry)
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 400°. Prep the cauliflower, garlic, and green onions and set to the side.
- Step 2 Set up a dredging station. In one bowl, add the flour, salt, and pepper. In another bowl, create the starch slurry. The potato or cornstarch slurry will separate so plan to whisk it every so often. Finally, in the last bowl, add the panko breadcrumbs. Dip cauliflower in the flour, then the starch slurry, and finally, the panko breadcrumbs until fully coated. Transfer the cauliflower to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat this process until all the cauliflower has been breaded.
- Step 3 Bake the cauliflower until slightly golden and crispy, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Step 4 Meanwhile, cauliflower is baking, make the sauce. In a pan, heat up the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and let it cook for about 2 minutes. Next, add the apple cider vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, and ketchup and stir to combine. Mix the water and starch together to create the slurry and then stir into the sauce. Once the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat and set it aside.
- Step 5 Once the cauliflower has been baked, toss it in the sauce. Garnish with green onions and sesame seeds. Serve it with steamed rice, avocado slices, roasted peanuts, and fresh bell pepper for a complete meal!