Watch how to make it here
Here’s an updated recipe since I shared this last year. For a healthier alternative, we will be baking the tofu instead of frying them. As always, we will use soy sauce and mushroom seasoning as our vegan substitution for fish sauce to bring out the salty, savory, and umami flavor. This is a great meal to make in bulk and serve as meal prep.
A few notes:
- For any leftovers or store as meal prep, store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Although firm tofu is used in this recipe, extra firm tofu works just as well.
- Tapioca starch or corn starch will be fine to use in this recipe.
If you made this recipe, be sure to tag me on Instagram @tifflovestofu or let me know in the comments below. I’d love to see or hear how it turned out for you.
Vietnamese-inspired Baked Tofu in Tomato Sauce
- 1 16oz block of firm tofu (drained and pressed for at least 30 minutes)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tapioca starch (or corn starch)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 shallot bulbs, finely diced
- 1 thumb ginger, minced
- 3 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- Step 1 1. Start with draining and pressing your tofu with a heavy object for at least 20 minutes. Layer a paper towel or lint-free towel between the tofu and the board to absorb the liquid. To save time, you can begin this process a couple hours in advance.
- Step 2 2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. After the tofu has been dried out (there shouldn’t be any liquid dripping), we can cut the tofu. Start by cutting through the center of the tofu lengthwise creating two blocks. Grab one block and cut it in half crosswise, repeat with the other block. There should be 4 blocks in total. We are now going to create 3 triangles using one of the blocks. You can do this by cutting the block diagonally using the bottom right corner as a starting point. Repeat this step by cutting the block diagonally from the bottom left corner.
- Step 3 3. In a large bowl, combine the tofu, sesame oil, tapioca starch, soy sauce, black pepper, and garlic salt. Mix well until the tofu is evenly coated. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and add the tofu. There should be about 1 inch space in between each tofu. Bake the tofu for 30 minutes and flip at the halfway point.
- Step 4 4. Meanwhile, mince the garlic, dice the shallots, and cut the tomatoes into wedges.
- Step 5 5. In a skillet, bring up 1 tbsp of vegetable oil to medium heat. Saute the shallots, garlic, and ginger for 2 minutes. Add the tomato wedges and stir for a couple minutes. Once the tomatoes have had a chance to heat up, add the black pepper, sugar, tomato paste, soy sauce and mushroom seasoning mixture. Close the lid and allow it to simmer for about 4-5 minutes before adding in the baked tofu and mix well.
- Step 6 6. Top with green onions, serve with steamed rice, and enjoy! 🙂