Watch how to make it here
This Vietnamese-inspired Rice Noodle Soup is a high-reward, low effort meal that will leave you feeling satisfied for days. Topped with chewy oyster mushrooms, savory fried tofu, and fresh tomatoes, this is the ultimate comfort meal.
A few notes:
- Vegan fish sauce is quick and easy to put together. You can make your own vegan fish sauce (recipe here) or purchase a premade bottle at Whole Foods.
- To save time, it’s best to buy pre-fried tofu. You can find this at your local Asian supermarket.
- Medium sized rice vermicelli is the best type of noodle for this soup. However, choose the noodles based on your preferred noodle type.
- For any leftovers, store the broth and toppings separately. Cook the noodles right before eating.
Vietnamese-inspired Rice Noodle Soup
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 8 oz oyster mushrooms, trim the root
- 1 package of pre-fried tofu, cut into cubes
- 2 shallot bulbs, minced
- 1 ginger root, peeled, and keep whole
- 1 red onion, cut in half
- 2 shallot bulbs, minced
- 4 lemongrass stalks, (outer layer peeled, mince the ends, and keep the top half whole)
- 1 daikon radish, peeled, and cut into 3-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 cups of water
- 2 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp annatto seed oil (soak annatto seed in oil until it becomes red)
- 1 green onion, roughly chopped
- 2-3 cilantro sprig, roughly chopped
- 2-3 mint sprigs
- 2-3 Thai basil sprigs
- Mung bean sprouts
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp each of sriracha and hoisin
- Any rice noodles (medium-sized rice vermicelli tastes best)
- Step 1 Begin by preparing the ginger, shallots, red onion, daikon radish, and lemongrass. In a large pot, heat up 1 tbsp of oil and add the shallots. Allow it to sweat for a few minutes before adding the ginger, red onion, and lemongrass. After 2-3 minutes, add the water. Wait for it to boil before turning it down to a simmer for 15 minutes.
- Step 2 Meanwhile, the broth is simmering, prepare the tomatoes, mushrooms, and tofu. Add it to a large bowl along with the mushroom seasoning, soy sauce, Chinese five-spice powder, sugar, vegan fish sauce, black pepper, garlic salt, and annatto seed oil. Mix everything well together and set it to the side to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Add the seasoned tomatoes, mushrooms, and tofu to the broth and allow it to simmer for 10 minutes. While the broth is simmering, prepare the cilantro, green onion, mint, Thai basil, lime, mung bean sprouts, and cook the rice noodles according to the package.
- Step 4 Assembly time! Add the cooked noodles to a bowl, top with the broth, cilantro, green onion, mint, Thai basil, bean sprouts, and the juice of a quarter of a lime. Best enjoyed immediately with a side of sriracha and hoisin!