Watch how to make it here
Here is the easiest way to make Vietnamese steamed rice rolls! This rice paper hack cuts the prep and cooking time in half. Check out the recipe below!
A few notes:
- Look for rice paper with tapioca flour or starch listed in the ingredients. The tapioca flour/starch will allow the rice paper to retain its chewy texture during its time soaking in water.
- When soaking the rice paper, it is important to add one piece at a time otherwise it will stick together.
- Once the rice paper has softened and it is time to roll it, be gentle when lifting it as it is prone to ripping. No worries if it rips the first few times, you will get the hang of it with more practice.
- Serve with my vegan fish sauce recipe – link here. This can be made a few days in advance.
- The toppings listed below are optional but highly recommended for a complete and satisfying meal.
- Ground Omnipork was used for this recipe but any vegan ground mince will work.
- Wood ear mushrooms can typically be found dehydrated at most Asian grocery stores. Shitake mushrooms can be used as a substitute.
- Jicama adds a slight crunch to the recipe. If not available in your local grocery store, daikon radish can be used as a substitute.