Watch how to make it here
Inspired by CAVA, the fast-casual restaurant, this Mediterranean chickpea lentil salad bowl is anything but boring. Fresh, bright, tangy, spicy, savory, and crunchy, it has all the elements Mediterranean cuisine is known for.
A few notes:
- While the list below may seem extensive, once prepared, this is the perfect meal that will last for days. The different components can all be prepared a day or two in advance.
- There are also shortcuts you can take to save time. Instead of using fresh corn, feel free to use frozen or canned sweet corn. Cook it the same way by pan frying it as described below. I also used store-bought spicy hummus and harissa. Although I prefer homemade hummus and harissa for the taste and freshness, the store-bought versions are still a great alternative. Finally, you can buy pre-cooked black lentils in a bag or can.
- Harissa is generally very spicy so feel free to omit this altogether and replace it with other Mediterranean dips such as tzatziki, baba ghanoush, or more hummus.
- The pickled red onions can be made in advance. Allow 30 minutes for it to marinate. This will last up to 1 week in the refrigerator.
- The recipe below is enough for 2-3 servings.
- Store leftovers in separate containers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To save space, I combine the roasted corn, chickpeas, and black lentils in one large container, trying my best to divide them into 3 sections. Store the tomato and cucumber salad as well as the pickled red onions in their own containers. The store-bought spicy red hummus, harissa, and mixed greens should already be in a container of their own.