Watch how to make here
Crispy, chewy, and loaded with a bold flavor, this buffalo tofu sandwich recipe will be your new favorite snack!
A few notes:
- It is important to use extra-firm tofu since it has the best texture and holds the least amount of water. This will make it easy to fry until crispy.
- In this recipe, I used soy milk but any plant-based milk will work and taste great.
- To save time, we will be using store-bought buffalo sauce. Any store-bought buffalo sauce will work for this recipe.
- Store the buffalo tofu in an airtight container and eat within 3 days. It is best to reheat by baking in the oven at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Buffalo Tofu Sandwich
- Buffalo Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup tapioca starch (or cornstarch)
- ½ cup plant-based milk (I used soy milk)
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buffalo sauce
- ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp butter
- Brioche bun
- 1 green cabbage leaf
- ½ cucumber, sliced
- 1 tsp vegan ranch
- Step 1 Take the tofu out of the container and drain the liquid. Lay the tofu on a lint-free towel or paper towel and place a paper towel on top with a heavy object such as a pan or book. Set the tofu aside to press for 30 minutes to an hour. This step can be completed several hours before cooking to save time.
- Step 2 Once the tofu is completely dry with no liquid remaining, it is time to cut the tofu into 8 triangles. Start by cutting through the center of the tofu lengthwise creating two blocks. Grab one block and cut it diagonally starting at the top left corner. Repeat this step but with the top right corner. You should have 4 triangle-shaped tofu pieces. Repeat this step with the other block.
- Step 3 Add the tapioca starch, panko breadcrumbs, and plant-based milk in three separate bowls. Mix the paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, and black pepper in the bowl with the panko breadcrumbs. Grab one piece of tofu and coat all sides with the tapioca starch. Next, dip the tofu in the bowl of plant-based milk making sure it coats all sides. Finally, coat all sides of the tofu with the panko breadcrumb mixture. Repeat this process until all tofu pieces have been breaded.
- Step 4 In a non-stick pan, heat up the vegetable oil for a few minutes. You can test if the oil is ready by sticking a chopstick in the oil. If tiny bubbles form around the chopstick, it is ready. Add the tofu into the pan and fry for 3 minutes on one side. Flip to the other side and fry for an additional 3 minutes. To make the tofu extra crispy, bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Step 5 In a small bowl, combine the buffalo sauce and butter. Microwave for about 2 minutes. Add the juice of half a lemon and mix well.
- Step 6 In a large bowl, combine the tofu and the buffalo sauce until evenly coated. The tofu is ready to be assembled. Toast the brioche buns, slice the cucumbers, and peel and wash however many green cabbage leaves you desire. Add one green cabbage leaf on the heel of the bun, topped with two tofu pieces and a few cucumber slices. Spread the vegan ranch on the inside of the crown of the bun and set the buns in place. The burger is ready to eat and best served immediately.