Watch how to make it here
In Cantonese cooking, this ginger garlic scallion oil is traditionally served with poached chicken. To make this dish vegan, the silken tofu replaces the chicken and serves as the perfect blank slate for this rich and appetizing sauce. This dish can be whipped up in less than 5 minutes!
A few notes:
- Silken tofu works best for this recipe. Please avoid using soft, firm, or extra firm tofu as the texture is too tough for this recipe.
- While this oil traditionally does not include garlic, the garlic adds depth and richness to the ginger and scallion. It was a must-add.
- This method of cooking the ginger garlic scallion in oil rather than pouring oil over the mixture is meant to mask the strong taste of raw ginger. Additionally, it ensures everything is cooking thoroughly.
- The ginger garlic scallion oil can be made in advance and stored separately from the tofu in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Cold Tofu with Ginger Garlic Scallion Oil
- 1 16oz box of silken tofu
- 1 palm-sized ginger, peeled and minced
- 3 green onions, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sea salt, add more to taste
- 1 Persian cucumber, julienned
- 1 green onion, sliced
- Step 1 Open the box of tofu and drain the liquid. Lightly dab the tofu with a clean, paper towel to soak up the remaining liquid and place the tofu on a plate. Since it is silken tofu, it is normal for it to still release liquid. Set aside.
- Step 2 Add the peeled ginger, green onions, and garlic cloves to a food processor and pulse until finely minced. Alternatively, mince with a knife by hand. Season the mixture with a pinch of salt before cooking.
- Step 3 In a saucepan, heat up the vegetable oil on medium heat. After a minute, add the mixture and remaining salt. Fry for about 45 seconds to one minute. If it starts to burn, add a little more oil until it settles down. Transfer the mixture to a container. Add more salt if desired.
- Step 4 This is optional but highly recommended, top the tofu with cucumber. Layer with 1-2 tbsp of the garlic ginger scallion oil. There should be leftover oil for future use. Garnish with fresh green onions and serve immediately with a steaming bowl of white rice.