Watch how to make it here
This mushroom congee recipe is supported by umami-rich shitake mushrooms, fragrant shallots and garlic, and vegan fish sauce. It’s a cozy and heart-warming dish that can be enjoyed with other side dishes or on its own.
A few notes:
- Dried shitake mushrooms are oftentimes more affordable than the fresh option. They can be found at most Asian grocery stores.
- Short-grain rice is used in this recipe for a thicker consistency. Long-grain rice, like jasmine rice, can also be used in this recipe but will have a different consistency.
- As instructed in the recipe card below, we will be freezing the washed rice before cooking to achieve the right consistency. This is a technique I learned from the Woks of Life and has saved a lot of time when cooking congee normally takes hours.
- I used a pineapple-based vegan fish sauce from my local Asian grocery store. I’ve also seen mushroom-based vegan fish sauce as an option.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.