Watch how to make it here
Looking for a quick and easy meal? Here’s my vegan version of egg fried rice. It’s a quick and comforting meal that is perfect any time of the year.
A few notes:
- One to two day old Jasmine rice or long grain rice works best for this recipe. Please refrain from using freshly made rice otherwise the rice might turn out mushy.
- For the vegan egg, I used JUST egg but any liquid vegan egg replacer will do.
- Mushroom seasoning and garlic salt are essential seasonings that makes this fried rice recipe taste amazing.
- The recipe below is enough for 2 servings. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Vegan Egg Fried Rice
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ½ small yellow onion, diced
- 1 scallion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup JUST egg or egg replacer
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1 bowl cooked Jasmine rice (1-2 days old)
- Step 1 Prep the garlic, onion, and scallion. Separate the white and green ends of the scallion. Thaw the frozen peas and carrots by soaking in boiling hot water for a few minutes and drain.
- Step 2 Heat up 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan on medium heat. After it has been heated throughout, add the JUST egg. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and use a spatula to scramble the eggs. Remove from heat and set aside in a bowl.
- Step 3 In the same pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and the day old rice. Use a spatula to break the rice apart until it is no longer in clumps. Fry for about 3-4 minutes to get it slightly crispy. Remove from heat and set aside on a plate.
- Step 4 In the same pan, heat up 1 tbsp of oil on medium heat and add the onions. Let the onions sweat for 2-3 minutes before adding in the garlic and white ends of the scallion. After a minute, add the thawed peas and carrots. Add in the butter and rice. Mix everything well together. Season soy sauce, sugar, garlic salt, mushroom seasoning, and black pepper. Stir fry for a couple more minutes before topping off with the green ends of the scallion. Serve immediately and enjoy.