Watch how to make it here
Recipe begins at 2:24
All the savory flavors essential in Vietnamese cooking can be found in this meat stuffed tofu in tomato sauce, but veganized. Meaty, aromatic, and super flavorful – this juicy tofu dish is perfect for lunch or dinner!
A few notes
- For any leftovers, store in an airtight container up to 3 days.
- Since we will only be using half of the plant-based meat package, feel free to save the other half to make another meal or freeze it up to 6 months.
- If your local supermarket does not offer any pre-fried tofu, you can fry it yourself. Drain and press firm tofu for an hour then proceed to shallow fry until crispy and golden.
- The vegan fish sauce is essential to this dish and you can find my recipe here.
- The mushroom seasoning is also what gives this dish so much flavor. I highly recommend investing in this seasoning and it will make all your plant-based meals extra umami.
This Vietnamese stuffed tofu in tomato sauce is:
& SO Tasty!
Please let me know if you gave this recipe a try. Leave a comment below or tag a photo on Instagram @tifflovestofu. I’d love to see or hear how it turned out for you.
Vietnamese Stuffed Tofu in Tomato Sauce
- 1 package pre-fried tofu (cut out the center in a circle or oval shape)
- 1 6 oz plant-based ground meat (Impossible Foods is the best for this recipe)
- 3 small tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 1 shallot bulb (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- Step 1 Begin with prepping the shallots, garlic and tofu. In a bowl, add the plant-based ground meat along with the soy sauce, 1 tablespoon black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic and 1 tbsp shallots, and mix it well. Stuff the center of the tofu pieces with the meat. If there are any leftover meat, you can add it to the pan later.
- Step 2 Heat up the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the rest of the shallots and garlic. After a couple minutes, add the tomatoes, vegan fish sauce, and sugar. Once the tomatoes have been thoroughly coated by the seasonings, add the tofu to the pan. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 After 10 minutes, add the mushroom seasoning evenly across the tofu pieces. Close the lid and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Top it off with green onions and serve it with rice!