All the savory flavors essential in Vietnamese cooking can be found in this meat-stuffed tofu in tomato sauce, but plant-based. Meaty, aromatic, and super flavorful – this juicy tofu dish is perfect for lunch or dinner!
A few notes
- For any leftovers, store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Since we will only be using half of the plant-based meat package, feel free to save the other half to make another meal or freeze it for up to 6 months.
- If your local supermarket does not offer any pre-fried tofu, you can fry it yourself. Drain and press firm tofu for an hour then proceed to shallow fry until crispy and golden.
- The vegan fish sauce is essential to this dish and you can find my recipe here.
- The mushroom seasoning is also what gives this dish so much flavor. I highly recommend investing in this seasoning and it will make all your plant-based meals extra umami.
This Vietnamese stuffed tofu in tomato sauce is:
& SO Tasty!
Please let me know if you gave this recipe a try. Leave a comment below or tag a photo on Instagram @tifflovestofu. I’d love to see or hear how it turned out for you.
Vietnamese Stuffed Tofu in Tomato Sauce
- 1 package pre-fried tofu (cut out the center in a circle or square shape)
- 1 6 oz plant-based ground meat (Impossible Foods is the best for this recipe)
- 2 large tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 1 shallot bulb (diced)
- 4 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp vegan fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp mushroom seasoning
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 green onion (chopped)
- Step 1 Begin with prepping the shallots, garlic, green onion and tofu. In a bowl, add the plant-based ground meat along with the soy sauce, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic, and 1 tbsp shallot, and mix it well. Stuff the center of the tofu pieces with the meat mixture. If there is any leftover meat and tofu, add it to the pan later.
- Step 2 Heat up the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat, add the rest of the shallots, garlic, and white ends of the green onion. After a couple of minutes, add the leftover meat mixture, tomatoes, vegan fish sauce, sugar, 1/8 tsp black pepper, and mushroom seasoning. Once the tomatoes have been thoroughly coated by the seasonings, place the tofu on top of the tomatoes. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Step 3 Top it off with the green ends of the green onion and serve it with rice!